Saturday, April 20, 2013

NYC Day 2!

On Thursday, we had a leisurely morning at the apartment and gave Mom one of her birthday gifts.  A couple of months ago, I wrote to all our friends and family and asked them to write a letter or note to Mom telling her how special she is and sharing memories.  I was overwhelmed with the responses we got!  I took all the letters and put them in a beautiful box.  She cried as she read every single one.  They were so good!  We laughed and cried with her!  I think it was a great gift!  I got a picture of her reading the letters but she was in her pj's with no make up on and I think she'd kill me if I put it on the internet! 


After we got ready, we went to 5th Avenue to shop.  We bought some cute things but had to limit ourselves because we only had so much room in our luggage to bring things home!  

Where Good Morning America is filmed!  We were there too late to see any filming.

Macy's.  They were having their annual flower show and the windows were amazing!  The line was long to go into the flower show so we forwent that!  I'm sure it was beautiful!
We had made lunch reservations at Serendipity which was the best idea I've ever had!  The wait was over 2 hours.  We were a little early for our reservation so we waited just inside in the gift shop area.  A lady walked down the stairs ahead of us and to the restroom.  There was a girl beside me and she said, "Do you know who that was?"  I had no idea because I hadn't really been paying attention.  She said, "It's Rebecca DeMornay from Risky Business and The Hand That Rocks the Cradle!".  After that, she walked right past us with her daughter!  It was definitely her!  Adrianne and Mom had no idea who she was!  Once we were seated, Adrianne and I noticed an elderly lady seated across from us.  She looked so familiar!  We think it was Jean Stapleton who played Edith Bunker on All In The Family.  Mom wasn't so sure but we convinced ourselves it was her!

I had the best sandwich I've ever had in my life and my summer project is to recreate it at home.  It was called the Summer Bries and had turkey, sprouts, sliced apple, and melted brie atop toasted raisin pumpernickel bread and was served with Russian dressing.  Of course, we had to have dessert too!
Serendipity

Summer Bries Sandwich


Hot Fudge Sundae

Frozen Hot Chocolate
That night for dinner, we went to a local Italian restaurant near Uncle Holland's apartment.  It was called Luna Piena.  It was wonderful minus the loudmouthed girl sitting at the next table over!  That's New York for ya!  I had a delicious Caprese salad with a Penne pasta dish with roasted eggplant and fresh mozzarella.  It was fabulous!  Rumor has it this is a Mafia owned restaurant/hangout.   It was very safe, though!   Lots of black limos and cars out front and all down the streets! 
Penne alla Siciliana

Cannoli for dessert!  Not as good as ones we've had in Boston at Mike's Pastry but good nonetheless! 



No comments:

Post a Comment